Saturday, July 16, 2011

Overall GPA = 2.48 - what do I do?

Question: Hello, I am about to be a senior and i'm pre-pharmacy. However, my gpa is very low (2.48) and I failed Organic I twice. I'm currently retaking Orgo I and will likely get a B in the course and I plan on taking Organic II w/ the lab in the fall in hopes of getting an A in both. I was wondering what I could do to overcome that hurdle? What would I need to do this year to get back on track? I have been really stressed out because I feel like I messed myself up BIG time. I have also been making C's in my science pre-pharmacy courses as well. I am not finished with all of those courses yet. Do you recommend me retaking those courses after I graduate next summer?



Answer:
There is no question that your chances at being admitted to pharmacy school are damaged by poor academic performance, but don't give up hope. The factors that weigh heavily are your overall GPA and failing Organic Chemistry twice. It's pretty dificult to overcome that, but this is what you need to do to even have a chance:

1) You will need to improve your Orgo scores (obviously). The B and A that you expect/hope will help tremendously.
2) Whatever you can do to get your overall GPA > 3.0 is worth the effort. That may mean taking a couple of extra courses, but a GPA < 3.0 is below the minimum threshold for many programs.
3) Take the PCAT and do extremely well. Depending on where you plan to apply, this may be your saving grace. In light of poor grades, a strong PCAT can tilt the scales in your favor.
4) Begin dialogue with admissions counselors at the schools where you might consider applying. Explain your situation and that you are doing everything possible to make yourself a competitive candidate for their program. Ask for advice and any recommendation they may have.
5) Use your personal statement to explain your motivation for pharmacy and be forthcoming about your academic troubles. If there is a reason for your struggles, be honest about it. Tell the committee that you lacked focus or partied too much as an undergrad and it hurt your grades - hey, we've all been in college before and understand that good students can get themsleves into a bind when they are away from home for the first time. Most importantly, tell the committee how you have learned from whatever caused the difficulties and what you have done or will do to be a successful pharmacy student.

Good luck!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Would getting a masters degree help?

Anonymous said...

Yes, any degree will give you an edge
in your application, but it will not guarantee you will get in. If your pre-pharmacy and overall grade along with your master degree, your chance are VERY high.

Admissions said...

Earning a Masters degree won't hurt your chances, but I don't recall many instances where our committee has admitted someone simply because an applicant has one. In fact, I've seen applicants with terminal degrees (PhD or MD) who have been rejected to pharmacy school.

If you are serious about getting into pharmacy school, retaking some core classes and getting work experience in a pharmacy is probably better use of your time.

Anonymous said...

What If the person gets their cumulative GPA up, but their science GPA is still low after retakes? Would they just take additional science courses?

Anonymous said...

Science GPA matters more than overall I'm sure.

Selling A Chemist said...

This is a really helpful site. You have some great ideas.