Friday, October 16, 2009


For the past six months, we have posted on this blog almost daily in our effort to assist prospective pharmacy students. By word of mouth alone, the number of visitors to our blog has increased significantly and we thank you all for that. It is gratifying to realize that we have been able to help so many wonderful people.

As of today, we will no longer be posting on this blog. Sad, I know. However, we are excited to inform you that we have created a new web forum at:

The reason for this change is that the one thing a blog does not easily permit is the fostering of a sense of community. It is our hope that this forum, however, will allow dialogue between the many future pharmacists who have frequented the blog.

We will still post frequently and we will still respond to emails. The information contained on this blog will be migrated over to the new forum shortly.

Please take a moment to register at the new site. Look around and please tell us a little bit about yourself under the WELCOME forum at the top of the page. This forum a work in progress, and thus, we would appreciate your feedback, suggestions, etc. Please make it your forum.

See you there!

PCAT October 17, 2009 - Advice, Questions, Comments

Please post your questions regarding the PCAT in the comments section below. If you have experience with the test or have advice on preparation, please share it with others.

Good luck!

Friday, October 9, 2009

Meeting with faculty on Adcom

Today I had the opportunity to meet with a faculty member who is on an Admissions Committee for a Pharm D program I am very interested in. As mentioned in a previous post, over the last six months I have developed a wonderful relationship with an Admissions Counselor at this same school. The counselor was able to set up this meeting with the faculty member so I could have the opportunity to hear first hand what this individual is really looking for in an applicant for this specific program. This meeting was invaluable and will help me greatly as I finish my personal statement and solidify my LORs. The meeting also gave me the opportunity to share my personal story and goals in person before my application is reviewed. If anyone has the opportunity to have a similar meeting with a faculty member who sits on an Admissions Committee, I would highly suggest trying to make it happen before applications are reviewed. As I left the meeting she specifically stated she would be watching for my application!

Thursday, October 8, 2009

Playing catch up

I will be in the office today playing a little catch up from missing time last week. Thanks to everyone who has emailed and been so patient. I will try to get responses to you later today.

Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Should I apply now or wait until after I retake the PCAT?

Question: I recently received my August PCAT scores. They were about average I'd say, but I know I can do better and will be taking the test again in October. In your opinion, is it best to wait to submit my applications until I receive the new score, or would I be better off to go ahead and send them, stating that I'll be re-taking the test in October? When AdComs are reviewing an applicant's file, do they consider future tests?

Answer: It kind of depends on when the committee will be reviewing your file. If the school has rolling admission, it is possible that they might make a decision on your file as it is sent to them, meaning that they will render a decision based only on what they have at that time and not on your second test. If this is the case, I would certainly advise you to follow up with the school if your receive a response before you take the exam a second time.

On the other hand some schools will notify all accepted applicants at one time. In this case, it is most likely that they will have both scores before making a decision. I'm not sure if there is an advantage to one plan versus the other if you are applying to multiple schools. You will among many who have submitted applications while still planning to re-take the PCAT, so I guess that is the route I would personally choose. However, if youwanted to wait until after the second exam, that makes some sense to me to. How's that for not answering your question :)

I think either way is fine. You might check with the schools to see if they recommend anything different than what I have stated. If you do, let me know what you hear.

Good luck.