Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Should I apply now or wait until after I retake the PCAT?

Question: I recently received my August PCAT scores. They were about average I'd say, but I know I can do better and will be taking the test again in October. In your opinion, is it best to wait to submit my applications until I receive the new score, or would I be better off to go ahead and send them, stating that I'll be re-taking the test in October? When AdComs are reviewing an applicant's file, do they consider future tests?


Answer: It kind of depends on when the committee will be reviewing your file. If the school has rolling admission, it is possible that they might make a decision on your file as it is sent to them, meaning that they will render a decision based only on what they have at that time and not on your second test. If this is the case, I would certainly advise you to follow up with the school if your receive a response before you take the exam a second time.

On the other hand some schools will notify all accepted applicants at one time. In this case, it is most likely that they will have both scores before making a decision. I'm not sure if there is an advantage to one plan versus the other if you are applying to multiple schools. You will among many who have submitted applications while still planning to re-take the PCAT, so I guess that is the route I would personally choose. However, if youwanted to wait until after the second exam, that makes some sense to me to. How's that for not answering your question :)

I think either way is fine. You might check with the schools to see if they recommend anything different than what I have stated. If you do, let me know what you hear.

Good luck.

No comments: