Friday, April 6, 2012

Can I overcome poor grades and get into Pharmacy school?

Question: I recently saw your blog and decided to ask for your opinion. I still have a lot of pre-reqs I need to take, however, my GPA is extremely low right now and I feel as if my transcript has to be one of the worst I've heard of in a while. I'm not sure what my exact GPA is as I have transcripts from a few different schools (i'm a military spouse and we've had to relocate many times) and have never put them together. The main worries about my transcript: I have 6 C's three are in elective classes, another is in General Chemistry (I retook this class and originally had a D), one in Economics, and the last was in a Pre-Calculus course but that one isn't considered a prerequisite. I got an F in General Biology so I'm obviously retaking this course soon. I also have 4 W's all which have valid reasons for. I am currently taking Anatomy & Physiology I but from how things are going it seems like I'll be getting yet another C. As this is quite embarrassing, I am in desperate need of advice. My first question: With my Anatomy course, should I add it to the list of C's or should I drop it and receive another W? I still have all of the other science pre-reqs to take and I still have not taken the PCAT. ANY advice you can offer will be greatly appreciated. I just don't know where to go from here, or even if I should continue. Please help!

Answer: I am going to be honest - you have an uphill battle in front of you. It will be impossible for any committee person to overlook all of courses that you seem to have struggled with. When I see a W or a D in a class, I can live with that. However, multiple W's and poor grades spells trouble for an applicant. The concern would be that once in pharmacy school, you don't have the option of withdrawing and trying again - it's pretty much sink or swim.

It is not my position to tell you that you can't get admitted, but pharmacy school is very competitive and you've placed yourself at a disadvantage. My sincere suggestion would be to contact the nearest school of pharmacy (or one that you might want to apply to) and ask to meet with an Admissions counselor. Bring your transcripts and ask him/her for an honest assessment of what your chances would be at that school.

Good luck.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm not sure what your overall GPA is currently, but I have some experience with applying to pharmacy school as I just applied class cycle and have gotten into 6/7 of the schools I interviewed for, with 3 of the schools being ranked top 10 in the nation.

With that being said, from my experience, I have friends who have a 2.7 gpa overall GPA with some science classes being very low. They chose schools that allowed a minimum GPA to be 2.5 or 2.7. They got into those schools. Make sure you resume is strong outside of your GPA. Meaning, you need a strong foundation in pharmacy experience and show leadership skills. You also should prepare for your interviews, be passionate and show that you are devoted and committed to the pharmacy field. Pharmacy field= the WHOLE SHABANG: its technological advances, resolving medical disparities, expanding pharmacist roles in the work field...etc.

Best of luck!

ckim said...

Hi K,

I can't seem to message you through blogger. Is there an email address you can give me so that I can ask you a couple of questions? Let me know. Thanks!