Monday, August 6, 2012

Should I be concerned about the future of pharmacy, job prospects, etc?

Question: I was just curious since I've been reading intensely about pharmacy ever since I chose of making it my career. I have been reading that jobs have been declining (especially on the east coast where I live with my family) with all the new pharmacy schools opening up. I was wondering how the job market will look like in 2018 and should I consider a new career path? I want to do this, but I'm not sure if it's worth the potential debt I'm going to face and uncertainty even with a doctorate in pharmacy. What does the future hold and will the wages decline greatly?



Answer: I have been asked this question (or a variation of it) many times in the past year or so. The job prospects for grads in the past couple of years have not been as plentiful as they were in the preceding decade. However, I do not blame this on additional pharmacy schools - even 10 new schools would only produce about 1000 grads a year. Instead, place blame on the economy. A decade worth of bad economic times has forced tens of thousands of practicing pharmacists to extend their careers when they might have retired previously. I feel that is why there are less jobs available right now. Still, compare pharmacy to almost any other profession and it compares favorably.

Look at the demographics of the United States and you will see that the population is aging. Over 65+ in the fastest growing segment of our population and these are the folks who use the most medications. I believe there will be an increased need for pharmacists in many roles in the coming decade.

I wouldn't let the current economic environment sour your view of the profession.

Best-
Admissions

1 comment:

Technician 101 said...

Employees living in Clarksville have a median annual income of $27,220 while the ones in Elizabethtown earn $25,430. Those who live in the Huntington and Ashland areas are paid $23,640 in a year while the ones in Owensboro receive $21,650. Average Pharmacy Technician Salary in Kentucky