Thursday, January 17, 2013

Will past pharmacy experience help me now?

Question:  I am a second year undergraduate student and am a Bio. major. I've been working in a pharmacy since my junior year of high school and recently became certified. Nowadays, I am not working because of school. Will this affect how the admissions committee will overlook my application? Is it looked better upon if I work consecutively work until I graduate? Also, I was wondering what the average PCAT/GPA requirements are for getting accepted into pharmacy school.


Answer:  Good question. My honest answer would be that I would indicate to them that you have 2-3 years of pharmacy experience and leave it at that. You don't need to explain that you aren't working right now or even point it out. Simply state that you have experience and be prepared to explain how it helped you decide to be a pharmacist, and you'll be fine.

The average for every school is different. I'm just making these number up off of the top of my head, but I would say that you should have a minimum of 50 on the PCAT and a 3.0 GPA. Some people are accepted with numbers slightly lower. Obviously, you're chances increase as your scores improve. To have a stronger chance, a PCAT > 75 and a GPA > 3.5 would be ideal.

No comments: