Sunday, February 3, 2013

Does physical appearance matter during an interview?

Question: 
I am not trying to troll or anything but simply wanted to see how people react to this question... Does physical attractiveness gain you brownie points at an interview?

If the answer is yes maybe I should start pumping iron . Maybe I should worry about getting an interview first....



Answer: 
Interesting question.  I can honestly say that appearance (in terms of attractiveness) is something I have never considered, however, I also realize that as human beings we aren't perfect. I imagine there could be someone, somewhere who tacitly or subconsciously may give an advantage to attractive applicants.

Let me be very clear - I have never heard a committee member discuss an applicant's "attractiveness" during a committee meeting. But, I think we would be naive to assume it has never entered an interviewer's mind.

More importantly, while on this topic, if someone were to arrive at an interview dressed sloppily or unprofessionally, appearance would undoubtedly be a topic of conversation for the committee. That has happened many times.

I hope this helps.

No comments: