Saturday, June 8, 2013

When should I start studying for the 2014 PCAT?

Question:
I plan on taking the PCAT next July, but I am having trouble understanding when I should begin studying for the exam. I have been told by relatives who are pharmacists that Christmas break would be a great time to hit the books (it usually lasts 6 weeks), but I plan on using that time to work as a tech and get a pesky physics class out of the way. My advisor suggested that I begin studying around the spring time, but I know my course-load will be pretty hectic by then. I'm the type of person who needs plenty of time to do well on exams, but I don't want to begin studying too early( if that's even possible). Also, I'm not sure how to study. Should I study on my own or would getting into a prep class like Kaplan be more beneficial? I want to do well on my first try so that I can make the early decision deadline. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. 

Answer: 
All students have different study techniques that work for them so I can't offer much in terms of how much time you will need, but I personally wouldn't overdo it. If you are in school now, much of the Bio and Chem subset should be familiar information. You should complete the online practice exams to see how the Reading and Verbal areas are tested.

I usually don't recommend classes like Kaplan due to the cost although I think there is probably some benefit to them for non-traditional students who have not been in a school setting recently

Good luck.

No comments: