Thursday, August 22, 2013

Will a low PCAT prevent me from getting into pharmacy school? Should I retake the exam?

Question: 
I have just stumbled upon your blog and I wanted to say thank you for running it. I have already found answers to many questions I have.

My concern with applying to Pharmacy school this year is that I have a low PCAT score. I am considering registering to take the PCAT again in January, which would be the last acceptable PCAT for the schools I am applying to. However, I would like to go ahead and submit my application earlier in hopes of getting interviews and possible admission throughout the rolling admissions.

My PCAT is as follows:
Verbal: 43
Biology: 46
RC: 81
QA: 27
Chemistry: 56
Comp: 50

GPA: 3.68
I will graduate this coming spring with a B.S. in General Science and a B.A. in General Writing.
Science/math courses: A's and B's in most, a C in Biology 1
1 year working as a Pharmacy Tech.
LORs: Organic Chem Professor, History Professor, Pharmacist (Boss)

Would you suggest signing up for the PCAT in January and should this be expressed in early interviews with pharmacy schools, if applicable?

Any advice would be appreciated.


Answer: 
A higher PCAT would obviously help but may not be necessary depending on where you plan to apply. As you know, your PCAT scores are average. However, your GPA is strong and I have seen a small shift recently where AdComs have favored using the GPA when it doesn't quite match the PCAT.

There are two primary areas of concern on the PCAT: Bio and Quant. You stated that you received a C in Bio which could be a bit problematic for you, but it's also not the end of the world.  In instances of a low PCAT subset score, AdComs can be quickly convinced that it is not an issue if the didactic/lab scores are strong. Unfortunately, your Bio score more or less confirms that PCAT which indicates a lack of understanding. Your Quant score is low, so AdComs are going to immediately look to see how you performed in Calculus. If you struggled in that course, again it may raise a red flag.

 As far as the other subsets, I generally throw out a single low V/R score if I think the applicant has acceptable communication skills as evidenced in their essays and personal statement (and later in their interview). A Chem score of 56 isn't ideal, but isn't low enough to sound an alarm for an AdCom particularly if your coursework is strong and you have a prof LOR.

In summary, I tend to think you can get interview offers at some schools based on what you provided. A strong LOR from a pharmacist will help you significantly. My experience is that someone with similar scores might have to be patient on a waiting list for a while, but I suspect you can get admitted.

Hope that helps. Good Luck.



No comments: