Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Kaplan guide helpful for PCAT?

Question: I was really happy to have discovered your blog today! I am currently planning to take the August PCAT. My question is quite typical of any student in hopes of pharmacy and it is simply, how would a Kaplan PCAT Study Guide be enough?

I am very worried because I stare at my three university textbooks (chemistry, biology and calculus), sigh as I glance over at my notes, and then see the Kaplan PCAT Study Guide. I feel overwhelmed! I know two weeks isn't a lot of time left to study but I just don't know how to go about with my approach in studying. I feel stressed and under pressure. Any advice?


Answer: I am glad that you have found the blog helpful. I think the Kaplan guide can be useful in preparing for the PCAT, but it is not sufficient to teach you everything you need to know. Obviously, that is why you have completed your prequisite courses and I would hope that the knowledge gained in Chem, Orgo, Bio, and Calculus would be enough for you to at least satisfactorily complete the exam.

I think it would be very useful to ask others who have taken the PCAT how they would prepare and what they thought was beneficial. I hope that some of the followers of this blog would give their advice as well (I will add this as a blog entry). Also, don't overlook the Reading and Verbal sections of the PCAT, as well as the Writing section. These make up a significant portion of the test and can help you out tremendously if you are deficient in the other areas tested.

Note to blog followers who have taken the PCAT: Please offer your insight and suggestions by adding a comment below. Thank you.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't speak for the newest edition of the Kaplan, but last year's book convinced me that Kaplan makes the worst PCAT prep book. The organic chemistry section in particular was horrible. There were no reactions shown and about five of the functional groups were either drawn incorrectly or misnamed.

Anonymous said...

I used Dr Collins and thought it was pretty good.

Regina.Yun said...

Kaplan is extremely helpful in terms of Biology. Downside is that it probably will take you much longer to go over because it goes indepth and covers pretty much every subject possible. Other hand, it really lacks in Organic Chemistry and Quantitative. I would highly recommend Dr. Collins for those. Besides that, practice practice practice! Use the Pearson Practice tests - they are the most accurate to gauge how weak you are in any subject. Make sure to properly time yourself because that is a major issue that many people have.

Health online said...

Hey this is really very interesting post here.... your blog is really very informative. I like to be reading this blog. keep posting. you have done great job.