Monday, August 9, 2010

Who should write my LORs?

Question: What are the three letter of recommendations we do need? As far as I knew, it was

1) A Professor

2) An employer
3) Personal, but not a friend or family relative.

I somewhat have number 1, but he has not responded to my phone message or my email yet. Number two, I intend on shadowing at a pharmacy this coming month or so. Number three, I' not very sure on, could you explain this one?



Answer: Every school is different in how many LORs they require and who they "suggest" you have them from. Certainly, one should be from a professor. Preferably a science professor. If you are employed in pharmacy, I strongly suggest you get a pharmacist LOR.

However, each institution is different. Some request that you have an alum write an LOR. Others want a second professor (science or otherwise). For your third LOR, I would advise you get an LOR from someone who can judge your character and work ethic. Perhaps you have experience volunteering with a church group, Habitat, hospital, etc. If you have none, another teacher or employer would work.

I recommend that you research each school that you intend to apply to and map out who they want LORs from. There will be a great deal of overlap, but some differences as well.

No comments: