Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Forner pharmacy student wants to re-enroll

Question: I was once a pharmacy student. I finished all the pre-reqs and 1 semester of the third year before I failed out. My pre-reqs were mostly C's. This was due to personal problems that have been resolved now. Currently, I am about to get a BS degree in Biology at another school. My cumulative GPA is 3.0, but my science GPA is 2.5. I got a C in Genetics and a C in Microbiology w/ lab, although I received a B in medicinal Microbiology in Pharmacy w/o lab. The highest GPA I could get before I graduate is 3.3. I have already gotten a pharm tech license, and worked as a pharm intern (not tech) in 3 different pharm settings, but haven't taken the PCATs yet. Do you think there is a slight chance I could make it back in?


Answer: Good question - every year we have several students who were once in pharmacy, medical, and nursing schools apply to our institution and I have seen students with similar experiences as yours be readmitted to pharmacy school. What we would look at was whether or not you were eligible to resume your coursework at your previous institution. If you left on decent terms, but the personal problems were the primary factor in your academic failures, that would probably help your case. If the school considers you ineligible to re-enroll, our committee would consider that as a significant negative against you. In either case, you must use your personal statement to explain your reason as best you can.

Because your grades are marginal, you will need to show your desire to resume your pharmacy studies and hopefully score very well on the PCATs which would help offset some of the earlier not so stellar grades. Point out that you have matured since your early studies and that you have foucsed on earning your BS in an attempt to re-enroll in pharmacy school. There is something to be said for perserverance. Good luck.

No comments: