Sunday, March 20, 2011

Pharmacy Scool - what are my chances?

Question: I recently discovered the blog and was spurred to ask a question. I would appreciate your input on my applicant strength in regards to the average applicant you come across. Here are a few stats:

GPA: 3.01, science/math GPA: 2.7

PCAT taken August 2009
Verbal 97
Biology 99
Reading 83
Chem 90
Quant 91
Composite 98

I am a certified pharmacy tech although I have no pharmacy experience as I could not find a job in pharmacy. I have over 200+ volunteer hours at the local Boys & GIrls Club, as well as various charities. I have also worked at various retail jobs (none relating to pharmacy however) since college started 3 years ago.

In regards to my GPA, I know it's low, and its due to my lack of focus my first two years of college. I have averaged roughly a 3.5 the past two semesters, and I feel as though my PCAT scores show I have a handle on science and math. Also, I know I can count on getting a glowing LOR from my current boss, and one from an economics professor (economics is my degree, which I will obtain this year). However, I need to get one from a pharmacist, and I am currently trying to arrange a shadowing visit or two.

So, I know that this is a very long email, and for that I apologize. However, I feel like this gives an accurate snapshot of myself. I'm contemplating retaking a few classes (mostly freshman level biology's) to boost my GPA, but I'm not sure I can fit it into my schedule. I would greatly appreciate if you could advise as to what I could do to add to my application or just comment on the general strength of my application.


Answer: My succinct response is this: You have excellent PCAT scores and those alone will probably get you in to most schools. As noted,your GPA is marginal, but you can address this in your statement. I wouldn't be too concerned in your case and I wouldn't retake lower level courses unless you did very poorly (D or lower) in classes like Gen Chem, Orgo, or Bio. Just try to keep your overall GPA > 3.0.

You seem to have plenty of good work and volunteer experience, so lack of pharmacy experience won't be all that important. Shadowing and an LOR from a pharmacist would be more than enough in your case.

Just make sure that your statement is good and that your LORs are solidly supportive. If so, you have an excellent chance of being admitted to multiple schools.

No comments: