Wednesday, September 26, 2012

What are my chances of getting into pharmacy school with low verbal/reading PCAT scores?


Question: I was looking at your blog, and I have a question for you please. I too the PCAT for the second time yesterday, and i dont know if i should retake. I took it the 1st time in January, here is the two different scores:

January 2012
Verbal Ability :7
Chemistry: 93
Quantitative Ability: 27
Reading Comprehension: 43
Biology: 27
Composite:40

September 2012
Verbal ability:25
Chemistry :88
Quantitative Ability :61
Reading Comprehension :16
Biology :84
Composite:57

My gpa is 3.80 , and English is my second language, and I volunteered for medical missions, has been on the Dean's list 6 times, getting my bachelor of science in Chemistry minor in biology this coming December, been the secretary of local American Chemical Society at my school, member of Alpha Chi and Phi Theta Kappa honor society, member of International student association and residence association, been Teaching assistant for organic chemistry two semesters, genetics, principles of biology, basic chemistry and dissect.
I really need your advice.

Thank you



Answer: It sounds to me like you are a very competitive applicant in almost every way - congrats on the considerable increase in your Bio and Quant scores on the September 2012 PCAT.  The only issue is that your Verbal/Reading scores are not ideal, obviously.  Personally, I wouldn't be all that concerned and we see cases similar to yours every year.  I do know some AdComs, however, who place a greater emphasis on what the PCAT says and some of them might focus on those scores when the file is reviewed.

I would recommend that you find a writer for your LORs who can comment on your communication skills.  He/she might say that English is not your first language, but that you were able to process the information presented in class without difficulty.  As an Adcom, that would ease my mind.  Having a strong interview when you can exhibit adequate communication skills is also a must.

Good luck.

2 comments:

Online Pharmacy said...

right I never transfer out for that reason… unless ive had it and am willing to never fill for that pt again, ever. I put a note in the profile and stick to it.

Unknown said...

Then come acquaintances and neighbours with who could provide relevant information on schools they had considered for their child.

School Admission