Tuesday, October 2, 2012

How should I answer these pharmacy school application supplemental questions?

Questions: 1) I'm working on a supplemental application essay and would like to get your input. The question is "Please explain briefly why you wish to attend XXYY university?". I wrote the essay based on three criteria: ranking, location, and curriculum. I'm not sure if that's enough to answer the question. I feel like the question is not that simple. I need to elaborate more somehow. Please advise.

2) I graduated in 2005 with a very dissapointed overall GPA of 2.6. I started to take pre-pharmacy courses in 2008. I've been doing very good so far because I'm more focused now. Calculus(A), English(A), Anatomy(A), Physiology(A), GChemI(B), GChemII(A), OChemI(A), Microbiology(A). My pre-pharmacy GPA is about 3.9. However, Pharmcas's cummulative GPA is only 2.75. I have 3 LORs (pharmacist, physiology and Ochem professor). I have volunteer experience at a local pharmacy. I'm afraid that I won't get accepted because of my low cummulative GPA. I know some schools tend to look at GPA of the last 45 semester credit or at the grade trend to determine. What do you think of my chances are?


Answers: 1) Your answers are valid, although I would focus your response on rank and curriculum rather than location.  Do you know anyone who attended the school? Have you worked with or shadowed an alum? A personal recommendation from a graduate is always something nice to hear as a reviewer. If the school has something specific that makes them unique (ie, religious component, focus on a certain type of research, etc), knowing that can be useful also.

2) You are correct that your GPA is probably below the average of most schools. You need to impress upon the reviewer that your pre-pharm grades are a more accurate reflection of your abilities than your undergraduate GPA. You can add that your focus is solely on attending pharmacy school and your more recent grades attest to that. Obviously, some schools are much more competitive than others so where you plan to apply will impact the result.  Personally, I tend to place a greater emphasis on what you have achieved in your pre-pharm work and your motivation to gain pharmacy experience.

Good luck.

No comments: