Sunday, February 2, 2014

How do I overcome a very low GPA that resulted from failing courses my freshman year?

Question:
I have come across your blog while looking for information about the strength of my application. I have a decent application - except for my GPA. I have an 87 composite for the PCAT (lowest was 51 in math), 7+ years of experience as a CPhT, and strong LoR's from 3 different pharmacists. My GPA, however, is abysmal; PharmCAS reports it as a 2.16 for overall and 2.41 for science. This is mostly due to failing two semesters my freshman year, where I lacked any direction or dedication for college. I don't have any F's in the core classes, but no A's either - mostly a mix of C's and B's. I will be completing my bachelors degree this semester, and I have a total of 204 attempted hours, so I am not in a position where I can easily raise my GPA. 

What suggestions do you have for a case like mine? Should I retake some of the core classes I received a C in before applying? Should I apply, and then if I get rejected, call and ask them what I should I do specifically to improve my application? If a school has a minimum GPA, is that a hard line that they do not cross? I feel that outside of getting some community service the only thing to boost my application is to increase my GPA, which requires another 3 years of straight A's full time just to get in the 3.0 range. Thank you for taking your time to read this, and for providing the site for those of us with these hard to ask questions.

Answer:
I think you understand the magnitude of having such a poor GPA - that alone will be enough to keep you out of many schools despite the strong PCAT and your work experience. What you must do is be able to show that the poor grades that resulted in the dramatic lowering of the GPA were isolated to those first two semesters of your freshman year. If you can do that and show progress and a trend upward since that disastrous start, you might have a chance. Admittedly, however, it will be an uphill battle - one you can overcome, but it will take significant effort on your part.

As far as retaking classes, I think anything you can do to show a better understanding of the key material will help you. If you had C's or worse originally and you can now point to an "A" in the same class taken more recently, it adds to the case that you are going to have to make.

Best of luck.

No comments: