Thursday, September 2, 2010

Do I need to rewrite my personal statement?

Question: I graduated from 4 year college last year, and got a B.S degree with Biochem. When I was in senior year, I applied two pharmacy schools, and I didn't get in. So, last year, after I graduated, I applied two other schools and did not get in either.

Anyhow, I want to give a try again this year, and I'm wondering how I should prepare to write Personal Statement (PS) again. I was reading the blogs and your reponse in one of the blogs is to change the PS when re-applying. I am applying few schools including the old one that I applied last two years. Should I just add few lines of what I have been doing since I graduated in one more paragraph? If so, do you think it is good enough? Please let me know how you would suggest me in term of adding/changing my PS.


Answer: Without knowing a little more (grades, PCATs, etc) it is difficult to give you much advice. I would say this, however: If your personal statement that you used previously didn't get you in, don't you think it would be advantageous to start fresh and write a completely new one? The same probably goes for letters of recommendation.

Have you gained pharmacy experience or something else that will improve your application measurably? Did you take or retake the PCAT and perform better? Have you begun advanced coursework toward a Masters degree? If so, revamp your statement and use something learned from your experiences. If none of the above, I recommend starting from scratch. If you are going to spend the time and money to reapply, you owe it to yourself to give it your very best and not have any regrets or "what ifs".

Good luck.

No comments: