Friday, September 10, 2010

Struggling in first year of pharmacy school?

Question: I just started pharmacy school about three weeks ago, and today I got my first test back, and needless to say it was not good, it was a 64. Does this happen? I'm not used to making such poor grades and now doubting myself, do you see this happen in your school? I drive 3 hours a day, study all the time, I'd say I put in 40 hours for this micro test, and all of my study buddies got A's. I'm not sure what to do, my school has a 98% retention rate, which makes me feel like I'm going to be the one to flunk out. I do have kids, and a family, but have been staying at school all day, and part of the night. Please tell me what your school does in this situation. Do you think I'm overreacting?


Answer: Well, I'll start by saying that pharmacy school is very difficult. I remember having struggles at times as do most professional students. Don't let a single test or one course dampen your hopes. It sounds like you are stretched to the absolute max with travel, family, and school, so try to find a way to simplify things if you can (I know that isn't easy to do). If a particular subject is worrisome, speak with the professor and ask for assistance. Most are willing to help the student with initiative who wants to be successful.

Good luck.

No comments: