Wednesday, September 22, 2010

I have prereqs to finish this spring.. Apply now or wait?

Question: I am wondering what your thoughts are on applying for pharmacy school for 2011 while still having a few prereq's to finish up this spring. The ones I feel will be looked at closely I need to complete are physics and cell bio. I just want to know that with the money being invested into the pcat, pharmcas app, and supplemental application that it isn't foolish on my part if it's going to be frowned upon that I still have a couple of pre-req's to complete.

My GPA is fairly good, I am volunteering at a hospital pharmacy, am a certified pharmacy technician with 2 years chain/retail side experience, and will hopefully do alright on the pcat this October. Just curious to what your thoughts are on this.


Answer: There are two parts to this question:
1) How will you perform on the PCAT without having completed your preqreqs?
2) Will the school "frown" if prereqs are not yet completed?

Most applications that we receive and review have courses yet to be completed listed on them. For example, we have applicants applying after their first year of college with the hope of beginning pharmacy school following their second year. These applicants usually have multiple prereqs to complete, so that should not be a concern for you.

The question I have for you is, "Do you feel well prepared for the PCAT without having completed the outstanding prerequisite courses?" In your case, if you have completed Gen Chem, Bio, and Calculus, I think you should feel prepared for the PCAT. It is my opinion that Physics and Cell Biology are not going to significantly add to or detract from your PCAT scores.

I would encourage you to begin the application process at this time and take the PCAT in October. With an acceptable GPA and pharmacy experience, you have positioned yourself well to be a acceptable candidate. If your PCAT scores are good, you have a great chance.

Good luck.

No comments: