Sunday, August 7, 2011

Can I use the same experiences in my personal statement again and a supplemental answer?

Question: One of the supplemental questions that I have encountered is "What unique, personal qualities and/or life experiences will you bring to your pharmacy career?"
My question is: If I already talked about an activity or a life experience that answers this question in my PharmCAS personal statement, would it be advisable to talk about it again for the supplemental?


Answer: I think it is fair (and expected) to use elements of your personal statement in your supplemental application responses. However, do not copy and paste them verbatim! I have seen reviewers literally throw files in the reject bin because the applicant didn't take the time to specifically answer the questions asked on a supplemental application. School officials, administrators, and deans can spend a great deal of time determining what to ask on their supplemental applications. These are important to their institution. Take the time and give an answer that incorporates some of what you have said in your statement, but take a slightly different approach to reinforce what you feel are your most important attributes. You owe it to yourself and to the school to thoughtfully answer the specific questions designed to find a "good fit" for their program.

Thanks for your question.

No comments: