Thursday, August 25, 2011

Should I apply to pharmacy school now? Or wait?

Question: I would really like to thank you for creating a blog that answers the questions of the pharmacy school hopefuls. I have already gained much knowledge just by reading some of your recent answers to questions. It sounds like an attempt at flattery to gain your favor, but I truly am grateful. My local school's advisory department are either too booked, or lack the experience, to help me guide in the direction of pharmacy school, so your blog was extremely helpful. My only wish is that I have found this site when you started it. Now to my questions...

I am not sure how confident I should be about my eligibility, hence my question:

How eligible should one make him/herself before initiating the application process?

I graduated with a BA degree in Philosophy and English 9 years ago with a GPA of about 3.3. I have completed most of the science, math, and economics prerequisites at a community college, with GPA of about 3.9, but I divided out the load over the span of 4 years. I am planning to take some upper division course at a four year school to augment my prerequisites, which should allow me to broaden where I can apply, and hopefully show that I can handle tougher classes. (This has been quite confusing because many of the schools require the same courses, exception of one or two),

Most of my healthcare volunteer experience were attained at hospitals. Though it may not be relevant, I have been committed to volunteering at my church for about 10 years as a teacher, coordinator, and director of high school programs. I have been phasing myself out of our programs in hope to develop my own career. I have no lab research experience and no experience in the pharmacy. I have just started looking for shadowing experiences and volunteer research opportunities since pharmacy technician positions are still quite scarce.

I am planning to take the PCATs, though most of the school I have looked into do not require them. Since my course were done at community colleges, I am hoping the PCATs can help.

I wanted to know if you would advise me to withhold my application until next year to make myself more eligible to become a pharmacy student. I feel like I am trying to rush into the application process because I am 32 and I am worried that I may have to redo my prerequisites since they are getting older. I am hoping to gain experience in the lab and the pharmacy this upcoming season but also feel that it may be insufficient because applications deadlines for some of schools start in November (which would give me about a month or two of experience at best).

What would you recommend?



Answer: Thanks for your email (and flattery). Hopefully. I can answer your questions adequately.

I have advised a number of students in your situation over the years, but each case is unique so I apologize for any generalizations. Because your grades appear strong through your initial degree and now your prereqs, I don't see any reason why you should withhold your application for next year. Make sure you contact the schools that you are interested in and get as much information as possible as to what you need to do to become eligible to apply. Make sure that you can complete the necessary prereqs for each program in time.

In a situation like yours, pharmacy experience would help. The question that we often discuss when someone is making a career change is why they are choosing pharmacy. It would help you discuss your motivation if you had some shadowing or volunteer experience to reference when you are asked this question. I know I sometimes roll my eyes when an interviewee tells me they have always wanted to be a pharmacist and that it is their life's calling, but they seem to have no idea what a pharmacist actually does.

In summary, as long as the schools where you want to apply will accept your prereqs, I would encourage you to apply this cycle. One word of caution: if you are going to take the PCAT, make sure that you are well prepared. I know applicants who had admittable grades and then they took the PCAT without adequate preparation and they really damaged their chances with terrible PCAT scores. Just something to keep in mind.

Good luck and please keep us posted.



1 comment:

pharmacy technician courses said...

Why wait for something that you can do now? Well, one thing that I have learn all through those years of being alone is that if there is something that you can do today, finish it today so tomorrow you wouldn't have to worry about it compared to be a bum today and worry about it tomorrow.