Monday, August 15, 2011

How should I address past academic struggles?

Question: I used to attend a decent university in my area several years ago to study management. But my interest was never in management. My first semester ended ok (a few Bs and a C) but at this point I was already sure I didn't feel like being in school anymore. The next semester began and I was going to class but somewhere down the line I started skipping classes and eventually just stopped going. I received 4 Fs for the semester. I was thinking of maybe squeezing in those classes into this summer and next so I can show the committees that I can do well in those classes, but is that really necessary? I don't really know what to do. How do I make my past disappear? The student I am now is not the student I was. Sometimes I wonder how I'm even going to write a personal statement to explain my situation.


Answer: I will be honest with you and let you know that your past academic transgressions with work against you strongly. However, it isn't impossible for you to gain admission. You need to very specifically address in your personal statement the causes of your academic failures. As you know, your overall GPA will be significantly lower than most of the other applicants because of the Fs you had early on. You want to point out the positives: greater focus and resolve since determining you wanted to be a pharmacist. Point our you vastly improved grades in your science courses compared to your management courses. There would be no benefit of retaking managment courses at this time.

I strongly suggest that you get experience in pharmacy, whether shadowing, volunteering, or beginning a technician job. This will help show the committee that you are committed to the profession and a strong LOR from a pharmacist there will help more than you know. Depending on where you plan to apply, your PCAT score could really make a difference.

Good luck.

No comments: