Sunday, July 29, 2012

Asked to write a letter of recommendation for pharmacy school - help requested.

Question: I was asked to write a letter of recommendation for one of my employees who is applying to pharmacy school.  He is a great employee and I want to focus on the right attributes that will help his chances of admission.  Any suggestions on what attributes or qualities that pharmacy schools will value more?  Thanks for your time and help! 

 Answer: Thanks for your email.  I'd recommend a different approach for various writers depending on the relationship you have with the applicant.  A professor, for example, should focus on academic ability and aptitude.  A mentor might reflect on character and willingness to lead others.

In your case,  an employer might write about timeliness, work ethic and ability to deal with difficult situations.  I like to read about applicants who have made a contribution to a team and improved some aspect of the workplace.  You might cite an example how the applicant impacted someone positively.

I hope that helps.

No comments: