Monday, July 9, 2012

How important is experience when applying to pharmacy school?

Question:  I am a rising senior who recently decided that I would like to go to pharmacy school. I have the prereqs finished and feel that my application would be well-rounded with the exception of one thing- I have no experience in healthcare or pharmacy. Should I wait a year to apply to pharmacy schools to strengthen my application and gain pharmaceutical experience, or should I apply this fall? How much weight do schools place on volunteer and pharmacy experience?


Thanks for answering my questions!


Answer:  I would advise you to go ahead and apply now... waiting a year won't serve the desired purpose.  Start making contacts with independent pharmacies in your area and explain your interest in pursuing the profession. Ask if you can shadow or volunteer one day a week for the rest of summer.  If that doesn't work and you have a school of pharmacy nearby, inquire with them to see if they have an alum who would allow you to shadow for a day.  Lacking experience will not keep you out of pharmacy school, but having some might get you in.


Good luck.

No comments: