Monday, July 16, 2012

Took the MCAT, but now pursuing pharmacy. Should I wait to take the PCAT or apply now?

Question: I am considering applying to Pharmacy School this year.  However, I have only recently decided to pursue the profession after realizing that I wasn't excited about going to med school.  I looked into Pharmacy and it seems to fit me perfectly.  I took the MCAT last summer and scored decently (32R), but I have not yet taken the PCAT and therefore am a little wary of applying to Pharmacy school this year.  My GPA is good (3.95 w/ full course load each semester, 'A's in all of the pre-reqs), and I have very little experience actually shadowing/working/volunteering in the pharmacy field (which I plan to do this summer and fall).  

My question is this: Should I risk a low PCAT score/low experience application this year or apply next cycle after I have had the chance to study for the PCAT longer and gain some experience.





Answer: If I had to guess, I bet you can do well on the PCAT without the additional preparation time.  The next exam that you could register for is in September 2012 (and then January 2013).  I would recommend planning on taking the exam in September - that's two months of prep time.


Your GPA and strong prereq grades make you an excellent candidate and I would think that even with an average PCAT score that you will be a competitive applicant at most schools.  I'd say go ahead and move forward without delay.


Good luck and please keep us posted.

No comments: