Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Is age a factor when AdComs review pharmacy school applications?

Question: As a member of an adcom, would you say that age plays a role? Do adcoms tend to have preferences based on, well, I can think of various criteria that could be considered, such as young and single (as in no family) and more apt to succeed with studies because of more time/less responsibilities. Or maybe on the other hand, could an older applicant be viewed as more responsible and goal oriented? What about the fact that you already got a degree in your younger years in something science unrelated. Sometimes I feel like adcoms can be apprehensive towards someone who decided toward a particular field, and now wants to chance...I have a BS in teaching. Generally it is a good thing to have a degree but I'm wondering whether that's a plus or a minus to a pharm adcom. I was asked this question in my first interview, and while having my reasons for deciding to change, I feel a bit challenged in providing an answer that they would like. I'm also 29 and have a child. They didn't ask about that though, which I was happy because I thought they could see that as a barrier for keeping up with a pharm school curriculum. A friend of mine who's also a mom, and already in the program told me she lied about not having kids.


Answer: 
Age may play a minor role in my perception of a applicant. I probably give a younger student, say one applying after 2 years of undergrad, a break if he/she doesn't have pharmacy experience, for example, simply because they've had less time to get it compared to a 30 year old applicant looking for a career change.

In your case, I would think that having some type of pharmacy experience would be very helpful to your chances. That is, when asked what made you want to switch careers, you could indicate that you had spent a great deal of time and effort into procuring a decision and that your time spent in the pharmacy reinforced that pharmacy was what you wanted to do.

I will point out that a number of AdComs do give "credit" to those with degrees (in any field) as well as those who have dedicated the time necessary to take the necessary courses to apply to pharmacy school while working full time and having family and parental responsibilities. I think it is illegal for us to ask about families. marriage status, and children. We can ask if there is anything that might prove to be difficult for student when they are in school, but not, "how many kids do you have and what will you do with them while you're in school".

In summation, issues surrounding an applicant's age / maturity, are things we might consider.  It is rare however, that I have seen this keep a student out of pharmacy school.

Good luck.

No comments: