Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Question: My preferred school only accepts one letter of recommendation.  My choice is between my chem. teacher and the lead pharmacist at a state mental hospital. My chem. teacher and I have kept in touch and he has had an opportunity to get to know how great I truly am. The pharmacist is from a my hometown area. She was very supportive and offered exceptional insight. She is the type of pharmacist I'd like to become. Which LOR would be better for this application?


Answer:  Tough question. I would say if you have actual work experience with the pharmacist, a letter of recommendation from her would probably carry more weight with a committee. She could speak to the specific attributes that would make you an excellent pharmacist having witnessed your work in the pharmacy. To me, that is probably what I would most like to see as a reviewer.

If the pharmacist is simply a friend/advisor, I think the LOR needs to come from your chemistry teacher.

Best of luck.

No comments: