Wednesday, November 28, 2012

What are my chances of getting into pharmacy school? Need advice


Question: I'm a 25-year-old who needs a bit of advice. I have about 115 credit hours under my belt, but they consist of various classes that can't be applied to the same bachelors degree. The truth is, I took me a while to figure out what to do, and this "trial and error" shows in my grades. Right now I have a 2.4 cumulative GPA and a 3.4 math/science GPA. I've been taking one class or two at a time for the last 2 years, but am now going full-time to take a shot at a 3.0. I have not yet taken the PCAT and have about 20 credits of pre-pharm classes left.

I desperately want to go to pharmacy school. The reasons for such are numerous, but all of them are founded on my deep attachment to the profession. My full-time job (in an unrelated field which I've had for the last 5 years) has consisted of working with a pharmacy program, so I'm pretty familiar with the faculty and staff at my school.

My question is... Do you have any recommendations given my circumstance to increase my chances? I have retaken all failed classes from 8 years ago to hopefully show the AdCom that my study habits are different now, but I now wonder if this was at all beneficial since the cumulative GPA I believe shows my previous attempts.

Thanks for any advice you can provide!


Answer: My first reaction to your question is to recommend that you sit down with someone in the Admissions office, particularly if you have an existing relationship with them. Assuming that you have a positive relationship, you need to use this to your advantage. As you noted, your overall GPA is marginal at best. However, it looks like your science and math GPA are quite respectable. A strong PCAT would help immensely.

I am certain that they will accept your grades from classes retaken, but understand that those will likley not replace existing grades on your transcript. That is a common misconception among applicants.

In the end, it is up to you to show the AdComs that your study habits are different and than you have the ability to be successful in their program. Undeniably, you have the desire to attend this program and I think if you are able to channel your efforts, you can make a legitimate case. However, I would strongly encourage you to make an appointment with someone and discuss all the items you mentioned above.

Good luck!

No comments: