Sunday, May 31, 2009

Why do you want to be a pharmacist?

As I ponder all that has happened the past week or so in my life and in the world, I reflect on those reasons why I became a pharmacist and then ask myself why you might be considering a future in the profession. At my advanced age, I know I still don't have all of the answers. But you should be prepared to answer the question, "Why do you want to be a pharmacist?"

So, let me ask you, "Why do you want to be a pharmacist?" In an earlier blog entry I wrote about some of the wrong answers that we hear time and again during the interview process, but I didn't discuss what the "right" answers are in much detail. For everyone, the answers are different. You may have a family member in pharmacy, you may have had some personal intertaction with a pharmacist, or maybe you just want to help people and think pharmacy is a good field to be in.

When I asked myself the question this week, I was able to clearly answer this: I want to be a pharmacist who can mentor the next generation of pharmacists. I have worked in community, hospital, and specialty pharmacy. I also have experience in academia. I have enjoyed them all, but what I have found is that the greatest joy I have experienced in this profession are those that I have shared with my students. Whether giving lectures, precepting students on clerkships or working side by side with them in a pharmacist-intern relationship, I have loved every minute of my career. I hope that I am able to help you with the process of applying to pharmacy school so you can someday answer the question as emphatically as I can today.

So, your homework is to ask yourself - "Why do I want to be a pharmacist?". I look forward to seeing you responses.

2 comments:

RX4U said...

Thank you for your words of wisdom. I find your insight very helpful and wish I you had a larger forum to help more of us. The help is most valuable. I will pass the word.

Anonymous said...

Bingo, I would like to see more one-o-one interview question like this

Thanks for your words