Friday, September 18, 2009

Can you recommend a school for me to attend?

Question: I want to apply for pharmacy school next year 2011. I am attending a community college in Texas currently. My family is scattered and I can move just about anywhere. Can you recommend a good school to apply to?


Answer: Sure, I could. However, I do not feel comfortable doing so. Every school has positives and negatives. What I feel may be important attributes might not mean a hill of beans to you.

I encourage you to ask around. Get opinions from pharmacists that you may know. I think it is important that you first make a list of what matters to you when making a decision like this that will impact your life. You indicated that location doesn't matter, but do you have a preference? How much can you afford? There are significant differences between the cost of public and private schools of pharmacy.

On the side of the blog, I have added a link to the AACP website (I have changed the location this links to at AACP's request). Look at the school information about all the schools of pharmacy that might interest you. Send an email to them and ask for information. Beginning a dialogue with the people who will ultimately make the decision on your admission can be very helpful in the end.

Only you can decide what school is the best "fit" for you. Rankings and the like won't matter much if you aren't happy attending there.

Good luck.

Note: If anyone has had a particularly good experience with a school or has advice for this applicant, please leave comments below.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Last year I interviewed at Iowa and Drake and was impressed with both. I wasn't offered an interview at Creighton but I am going to apply again this year to all three and a couple of others with my much improved PCAT.