Thursday, September 3, 2009

Should I mention my fraternity on my application

Question: I have a quick question.. I was wondering how much help would having any sort of experience in a fraternity have for an applicant? Obviously I know GPA, PCAT, LORs, and pharmacy experience make the bulk of the decisions... but does having any fraternity experience on the resume, keeping in mind that they do a lot of philanthropic work and community service, help make the applicant more well-rounded at all? Thank you for your time!


Answer: Personally, I think it would have minimal benefit. However, I would list any fraternal organizations that you belong to. If any volunteer work was done that you felt was particularly important, citing examples in your personal statement would also be appropriate.

You never know if a reviewer might have a similar background or fraternal association, so I would recommend listing any groups that you belong to - in most cases, I agree that it does make you a more well rounded candidate.

You might avoid mentioning that you were the official kegmeister for your frat house though (just kidding) :)

No comments: