Thursday, July 22, 2010

Low GPA - what should I do?

Question: I just returned to community college about a year ago. I went to college right out of high school for a couple years. I didn't know what I wanted to do so I got a job and starting working. I've worked several jobs since. I am currently employed at a local hospital (not in pharmacy) for about 4 years now. I recently become interesting in pursing a career as a pharmacist. I took an organic chemistry class in the fall and due to medical problems I ended up failing the course. I am taking the PCAT in august and will be applying to pharmacy schools for admission this year. I intend to graduate with an associate of science completing my courses in the summer of 2011. How much will failing that class be held against me? I plan on retaking the class this fall. My GPA has dropped to a 1.7 now. Will getting a higher score on the PCAT help my cause at all? Or am I pretty much out of consideration at this point? I know right now the odds are stacked against me. Will my work expiernce compensate a little for the bad GPA?

Any advice for me?


Answer: I'll be honest - things are stacked against you. I'll try to touch on each point:
1) Failing Orgo hurts, however, you have a chance to make up for it if your retake the course and do well. As you apply, you will want to make sure they understand what happened in your first attempt (illness, etc).
2) A GPA of 1.7 will obviously not get you in. We have admitted some students in the past with less than a 3.0, but that is usually the cutoff at most schools. So it sounds like you need to get that fixed asap. Do whatever you can to improve your overall and prereq GPAs. Whether that means taking summer courses or online classes, or maybe retaking prereqs, at this point you probably should consider every option.
3) A high PCAT score will solve a lot of problems. If you are serious about pharmacy, you need to really prepare for the PCAT and make sure you do well (a score in the 90s would be ideal).
4) work experience helps, but pharmacy experience helps more. If you currently work in the hospital, see if you can shadow a couple hours here and there. Anything would help.

Best of luck.

No comments: