Thursday, July 8, 2010

Personal Statement - Part 2

There are a couple of things I would advise against doing when writing your personal statement. You statement should not be:

a) a stand up comedy routine
b) a sob story
c) a collection of classes that you excel in (and try to connect them to be a successful pharmacist)

I remember when I was in college and I took a professional development seminar about writing resumes and cover letters. The one thing I remember was, "You should try to stand out among the hundreds of resumes that will be read". My advice to you - do the opposite. Don't try to stand out. I know that sounds counterintuitive, but sometimes when you stick your neck out the ending isn't pleasant. Too many applicants want to tell me a funny story instead of reasons why they want to come to my school to study pharmacy. And we all love the one about a great aunt who had cancer when was 5 years old and he had an epiphany that pharmacy was the career fir him at that moment. You get the idea.

I have read hundreds, if not thousands, of personal statements and supplemental application responses. I appreciate it when someone writes an actual statement about why they want to be a pharmacist. What has guided them to this time in their life? What values do they exhibit that would make them a caring health care professional? Why will my school be better if we admit him/her?

No comments: