Thursday, July 29, 2010

PCAT score review

Question: Dear Admissions, This site has been so helpful in my pursuit to gain a better understanding of the pharmacy application process. Thank you so much for creating this site. I just received my June 2010 scores and I was wondering if you could tell me if I should retake it in October.

I know my scores are probably the very minimum required, but will that hurt my chances of even getting an interview even if my PS, LORS are strong?

My second question is: Which part of the score is weighted more heavily by the admissions committee: the individual scaled scores from each sub test, overall composite score, or the percentile ranking of each sub test?

GPA: 3.14
Verbal: 68%
Bio: 60%
Reading Comp: 62%
Math: 60%
Chem: 59%
Composite: 64%


Answer: First of all, thank you for the kind words. I am glad the site has been helpful. Just as a reminder, the advice I offer is based on my own experiences only, so other schools and committee members may have a different viewpoint. That being said, this is how I would advise you:

Your PCAT subset scores are very consistent. Unfortunately, this probably works against you a bit. In some ways, you might be better off if your PCAT Chem/Bio/Quant were in the 80s-90s and something else brought the composite down as those scores tend to be weighted more than verbal and reading.

I would suggest that your retake the PCAT. A PCAT composite score in the 60s will get you admitted to a handful of schools, however, I wouldn't be surprised if you feel into the alternate pool. You didn't indicate where you are applying so I can't offer much in terms of likelihood of receiving interviews. I think at our institution, based on scores and GPA only, (assuming average or better personal statement and LORs), you would probably be a middle of the road alternate.

Your scores simply aren't good enough for most schools to grant you immediate admission when a significant number of applicants will have better PCAT scores and a higher GPA. As time goes on and applicants begin to choose where they will be attending, waitlisted students are pulled into the discussion. If you can increase your composite > 70, your chances increase. I have found that applicants tend to fare better the second time they take the test, so there is little downside in trying, in my opinion.

Good luck.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My husband is a PhD faculty of organic chemisty and recently took PCAT. Applied to south pharmacy, auburn, mercer, Belmont, pcom, lipscomb

Anonymous said...

He has preliminary PCAT scores. Took it jan . Only studied month. Made 53 on preliminary. Did great chemistry and biology. 85. Not good in math/quan.