Sunday, July 18, 2010

Will a committee check me out on facebook?

Question: I don't have anything entirely inappropriate on my myspace page, but there are photos of my friends and I being "crazy"... drinking, partying, etc. Do I need to worry that an admissions committee will look at the page and use it against me?


Answer: A year or two ago, I wouldn't have expected a question like this. However, as social networking grows and access to personal information becomes available, it would be wise to limit who has access to your myspace and/or facebook information. This past year, I recall only a couple of occasions where a committee member did "look up" a potential applicant on a social networking site and reported what he/she found to the committee. In those cases, nothing of consequence was mentioned - nothing negative at least. But, what if there were inappropriate photos?

However, applying to a professional school is much like applying for a job. This is a competitive field and you want to "look the part". If you allow public access to your personal information on a social networking site, be prepared for it to be viewed and used for or against you. Ask yourself the question, "Would I hire (or "admit") the person I see based on what they are posting online?" Better safe than sorry, right?

No comments: