Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Will having an MIP (minor in possession) keep me out of pharmacy school?

Question:  I was cited for minor in possession while in undergrad almost 10 years ago. As I told my parents, I just happened to be at a party where alcohol was present and we all got MIP's In every case I mentioned this on my application when asked about any offenses. This won't negatively affect my chances at admission will it? Has you found something similar to be an issue?


Answer:  We see situations like this quite frequently and I would not anticipate any issues in your case. Problems might arise if you had multiple MIPs (indicating that you didn't learn from the first one) or if you received an MIP in the very recent past (more applicable to 2nd year undergraduate students applying to pharmacy school) as this might indicate maturity issues. A DUI would be scrutinized much more closely and anything on your record relating to possession of illicit drugs (ie, marijuana) or paraphernalia would be significantly detrimental to your chances.

No comments: