Monday, April 29, 2013

Should I withdraw from a class or risk failing it? What is the better choice for a pharmacy school applicant?

Question: 
Could you let me me know how an Adcom looks at an F and a W on a transcript? I am struggling with a non preq course and I am going to need to decide whether to withdrawal soon. Is that worse than sticking with it and maybe getting a D or F? Or do Adcoms look at a W as someone who quits?

Answer:
When in doubt, withdraw. As an Adcom, I have fewer concerns with a file of an applicant who withdrew from a course than with someone who failed a course. Part of the reason may be that we don't have any idea why the student withdrew, so it is difficult to hold a W against him/her (it could have been a scheduling conflict, for example). A series of W's, on the other hand, becomes a concern. In this case, a single W in a non-prerequisite course shouldn't hurt your chances.

An F, however, will jump out to any Adcom. Plus, it will hurt your GPA and that can significantly hurt your chances at gaining admission.

Good luck.

No comments: