Monday, June 8, 2009

Should I take Orgo before the PCAT?

Question: I am applying for Fall 2010. I am supposed to take Organic Chem I this fall and I would like to take the PCAT in August, but I am concerned about knowing the material on the PCAT without taking Organic. What do you think I should do?


Answer: I think you would be wise to take the PCAT only after you have taken (minimally), Gen Chem, Biology, and preferably Calculus. Certainly, having started Orgo will help you, but some people do very well without having taken Orgo yet.

If you feel as though your grades are marginal and your acceptance will depend on a strong PCAT, I would suggest not taking the PCAT in August. Use the fall semster to learn basic Orgo and prepare for the PCAT. You would hate to look back and three months later and realize that a weak PCAT was the nail in the coffin simply because you weren't familiar enough with the material on the exam.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Can anyone tell me how much orgo is on the test? Or how tough the chemistry section is on the pcat?

Anonymous said...

40% organic....read the candidate information booklet on the PCAT website

Anonymous said...

The most important thing to know for the Org. section is the naming of compounds. Focus on this and just the basic reactions and I think you will do fine.