Saturday, August 8, 2009

Alternative Medicine

Question: I am interested in studying alternative medicine to SUPPLEMENT my pharmacy education, NOT substitute. On a forum, I asked whether mentioning this plan was wise, and I was met with much negative criticism. Everyone told me if I wanted to do this, I should pursue this alternative as my career instead of pharmacy.

I was wondering, whether this was a bad thing to mention in my personal statement?


Answer: Every year we have a few applicants who indicate in their personal statement that they have an interest in alternative medicine. I find it interesting that you say others have told you not to mention this because I do know some reviewers who have a somewhat cynical view of such therapies. Inevitably, one committe member will make a comment that the applicant should go and work at the "health food store" instead of pursuing pharmacy school. So, I think there still may be some negative views of "alternative medicine". Alternatively, I know of one professor who is actively involved in research with such therapies and might view your interest as a plus.

I think if you can address your interest in alternative medicine appropriately and not focus on it as your primary goal for attending pharmacy school (which you indicate it will not be), it shows an interest beyond traditional medicine and you wouldn't be penalized for it.

When in doubt, be true to yourself and what you want the committee to know about what kind of pharmacist you will be. If alternative medicine is interesting to you, mentioning it will help the committee know you a bit better and give you a more complete review of your application.

No comments: