Friday, August 7, 2009

How to address goals in a personal statement

Question: Upon graduating from pharmacy school, I plan on teaming with my parents to figure out how to open a pharmacy in my father's African village. While starting up the business abroad, I would still pursue my career in America. Details and planning are still very vague at the moment but my question is: Would something like this be a good goal to include in my personal statement for pharmacy school admission?


Answer: Thanks for your email. I have read about intentions similar to yours in personal statements before. I think it is an altruistic goal and worth mentioning, however, I would probably make it a secondary endpoint. That is, you want to be a pharmacist (first and foremost) to help people and you also have the goal of building a pharmacy in the African village. I think most committee members would see that as a positive. If nothing else, it does show your character and your desire to contribute to society.

Good luck.

No comments: