Monday, August 17, 2009

PCAT score - review

Question: Hi I had just stumbled upon your blog today, and am so grateful. With all the pre-pharm students you have helped I was hoping to get some advice in regards to my situation. I am planning to apply for the upcoming 2010 fall semester, but I don't feel confident in what I have to offer. I recently graduated, took the PCAT August 2008, have a decent GPA and just applied at CVS.

Verbal Ability 81
Biology 94
Reading Comprehension 40
Quantitative Ability 67
Chemistry 86
Composite 82

GPA: 3.27 not including Orgo II that I just took.
Organic Chemistry II with Lab : A (5.0 hrs)

I am scheduled to retake the PCAT in October. But I am assuming that I'll need great recommendations accompanied with an amazing personal statement to get into any school or to even be considered. I need advice as to how I can increase my chances for acceptance? Thank you so much, I really appreciate it.


Answer: I encourage you to review some of the previous blog entries as your stats are in line (or better) than some. A week or so ago, one of our applicants was admitted with a PCAT around 50 (see link and follow through link in blog entry http://pharmacyschooladmissions.blogspot.com/2009/08/success-welcome-to-profession_06.html) so I wouldn't be too concerned in your situation.

Not knowing where you plan to apply, I would say you have a pretty good chance of being granted an interview with an 82 composite. Of course, LORs and your statement are critical elements, but your PCAT and GPA are acceptable for many schools. Improving your reading score will help, but might not be necessary with the very strong Bio and Chem scores you earned.

During the interview process is where you will need to be on the top of your game and sell yourself to the institution. If you can make even a slight improvement to your Reading and Composite PCAT scores, you will be in decent shape if you are applying to multiple schools with admissions stats similar to yours.

No comments: