Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Do pharmacy school AdComs frown on taking online courses?

Question: How do you admissions committee feel about online classes? I have checked with the schools, and some have said it is fine for me to take them. My reason for taking online courses is because during my undergrad years, I did great on the labs, but needed to improve my lecture grade (we got separate grades for this at my undergraduate institution--lab and lecture). Most schools have said that is fine for me to take the lecture since I have demonstrated proficiency in the laboratory part of the course, but in general how do schools feel about them?


Answer: This is an excellent question: As long at the courses are taken through an accredited university and the credits transfer, there really isn't a problem. I would guess that in a lot of cases the committee wouldn't be able to discern that a class was taken online depending on how it is listed on your PharmCas transcript. As we enter an era where more and more courses (including pharmacy degrees) can be completed online, I think there is less of a negative stigma associated with this type of instruction.

No comments: