Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Reapplying - do I need to start from scratch?

Question: I was waitlisted and ultimately not admitted to my school of choice last year. I decided to finish my Biology degree and will be reapplying in 2011. Do I need to obtain new letters, write a fresh personal statement, etc?


Answer: Yes, start over. One of the first things I look at when reviewing a re-applicant is what has (s)he done to improve the application. Finishing a degree would be a significant improvement and I applaud you for doing so. However, any committee who reviews applications closely will look at your previous file as well as the current application. If the personal statement is a "copy and paste" from your previous application, it reflects poorly on your desire. Although it might not be cause for rejection, I think if you are serious about putting your best foot forward, you should certainly rewrite your statement to reflect the improvements you have made in your application and what has led you to this point in your academic career.

Good luck.

1 comment:

EG said...

You HAVE to start from scratch. If the same application didn't get you in last year why would you even think of submitting the same one again?