Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Should I apply now or finish my degree first?

Question: I just finished my first year of undergraduate studies and want to become a pharmacist. I can complete the necessary courses and apply this year but I wonder if I would be better off finishing a degree and then applying? Suggestions?


Answer: If your focus is to become a pharmacist, I see no reason why you shouldn't apply for classes matriculating in Fall 2011. Do you have a better chance of gaining acceptance if you have a bachelor's degree? Probably. At some schools, great value is placed on possessing a degree. However, a large number of students are admitted every year without a degree so don't let that deter you if you want to apply now. It is my opinion that the number of schools requiring an undergraduate degree before applying to pharmacy school will increase in the coming years.

My suggestion is to apply now and see what happens. If you aren't accepted during this coming cycle, complete your degree and apply again in two years.

1 comment:

Kristianne said...

It does not hurt to apply if you are serious about starting early, but because it is getting more competitive, a bachelor's is recommended for most schools.

-UCSF pharmacy student

Women's Health Daily