Monday, June 7, 2010

Looking for some advice

Question: I need some volunteering advice. I plan on becoming certified and probably working at a hospital. I've already volunteered before at a hospital pharmacy. Would it make sense to add more volunteer work? I really need backup to my low GPA which I plan on bringing up in the next year. I'm also going to take the PCAT in August, but it might take me 5 years to graduate with a Bio degree..does that hurt me?


Answer: If you have some volunteer experience, I don't think you will improve your application by adding more. However, if you were to gain work experience as a tech, that would be helpful. Once working, I would strongly suggest finding a pharmacist that you work well and use him/her for your LOR when the time comes.

The length of time it takes to earn your degree will have no impact on your application - if it takes 5 years, it takes 5 years. We have seen applicants on the 10 year plan before. What you need to focus on are your prereq grades and the upcoming PCAT. If you can be successful on the PCAT, that will stand out even in light of some course struggles if your GPA is low.

No comments: