Monday, June 28, 2010

Will Pharmacy Tech licensure help?

Question: I am planning on reapplying to a school this fall. I got my rejection letter from them in the mail in April. Does having a pharmacy tech license increase my chances of getting accepted? And if I do plan to pursue a pharm tech license by completing a 29-wk program starting in July, I will not get licensed until beginning of next year. But I plan to apply to schools as early as possible. This means that I will apply starting next week. Now would the admissions at the pharmacy school see that I am improving myself and am more dedicated towards pharmacy? Would I just have to state that I am pursuing a pharm tech license in my personal letter? My other reason for getting a pharm tech license is so that I can work in a pharmacy in the meantime if I do not get accepted for the Class of 2015.


Answer: I am sorry that you were not accepted this year. Taking the necessary courses to become a licensed Pharmacy Technician will not hurt your chances, but I think it will provide minimal benefit on paper. However, if receiving your licensure allows you to get a position at a pharmacy (which I am not certain if you had previously), then it is well worth it because it has opened to door for you to gain valuable work experience and a letter of recommendation from a pharmacist.

I think you should mention in your PharmCas statement that you are pursuing your technician licensure with the hope of achieving your goal to be accepted into pharmacy school. Committees like to see perserverance and it sounds like you have it.

Best of luck.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your contents are too simple to read and easy to understand.
tony