Saturday, May 29, 2010

When should I take the PCAT?

Question: I have yet to take Calculus and Chem 2 yet, but I want to apply to Pharmacy school early. (Around July), Will the admissions get my transcript and count me as applying early? I am missing the following classes for fall 2009: Calc 1, Physics 1, Chem 2. I plan to take those classes around Fall of 2010 to get into pharmacy school by fall of 2011. I do not know if I should take the October PCAT or if I should take the Jan one. If I take the Jan 2011 PCAT, and the deadline is on feb 2, will admissions get my PCAT score, Calculus 2 scores and Physics 2 scores?


Answer: I would suggest getting the prereqs scheduled for fall and plan on the October PCAT. You can take it again in January if you are not satisfied with your score. Depending on the school, they may wait to see your grades from the courses you are enrolled in or make a decision on what they see (rare, unless they are rejecting you). If your initial PCAT score is less than desirable, plan to retake it in January and inform the schools that you are scheduled to take the PCAT again.

It would be beneficial to contact the schools you are applying to to get the dates when they begin accepting admission paperwork. I think it is useful to begin building a professional relationship with someone in the office of admissions as these individuals can be a great resource for the many questions you may encounter (kind of like this blog!).

Best of luck.

No comments: