Saturday, May 22, 2010

Who should I get to write my LORs?

Question: I haven't had very much of a chance to get to know my professors this past semester and many classes were larger lecture format. I am a senior and will be applying this summer, but I need to ask a professor for a letter of rec soon, but I'm not sure who would be better to ask. I have a professor for a 1-credit research ethics class who seems easy enough to talk to, but I'm not sure how that will look. I have another couple of professors who may remember me, but I wasn't very close with them. There were some professors who I had more outside of class or after class/study session conversations with, but it has been at least a 2 semesters since I've had them and I'm not sure if they would still remember me. I have done well in all of the classes (A- or above). This specific letter of rec is for only one school.Who would be the best person to ask for a letter of recommendation? Would it help, when asking them, to offer, in addition to my transcript and resume, to have a meeting with them (mini interview, almost)?Thanks!


Answer: This is a very good question. If you didn't know any of your professors well, find one that you liked and did well in his/her class. Make an appointment to discuss your goals. Have a copy of your CV with extracurriculars etc. Impress upon them how important it is to go to pharmacy. Then ask them if they would be willing to write an LOR. Most will agree and have done this many times before. If you show them what your interest is and look prepared, I suspect they will support you.

I have seen LORs from professors who do not know the applicants very well more times than I can remember. They will usually write something about extracurriculars or volunteer work. They will undoubtedly mention your rank and grade in their class. This is satisfactory as far as any committee I have ever been on is concerned. However, if you want to make a more positive impression, a letter from a professor who can attest to your character and work ethic (beyond grades alone) will do the trick.

Good luck.

No comments: