Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Should I withdraw or retake?

Question: I am doing poorly in a prereq and don't want a bad grade (D or worse) on my transcript. Should I withdraw? Take the poor grade and retake the class? Please help!!!! What looks worse to a committee?


Answer: In my opinion, the answer depends on what class you are taking. You stated that it was a prereq which is a critical course when your files is being evaluated. Most schools will not accept a score of D or worse for a prereq. This would be much different than if you failed music or yoga, for example.

Let's look at it this way. If you score a D in General Chemistry II, it will stick out pretty clearly when a AdCom reviews your transcript. However, if you score significantly better when you retake the course, I think most committee members I have worked with are willing to forgive a single poor grade if you showed improvement.

Some would argue that if you withdraw, it might appear as though you weren't able to "tough it out". This could signify to a committee member that you won't work through the inherent difficulties of pharmacy school either. I do not feel this way, but I have heard it referenced that way before by others.

My suggestion would be to pour yourself into the course and do your absolute best on your final exam. Maybe you can raise the grade to a C. It wouldn't be a bad idea to discuss with the professor your desire to attend pharmacy school and how important it is for you to succeed in his/her class. Show your determination and hang in there.

If you end up with a D on your transcript, retake the class and focus on improving your grade. If a D or F is inevitable and unavoidable, withdraw and try again (perhaps with a different instructor, if possible).

No comments: