Monday, May 17, 2010

Do public pharmacy schools give preference to in state applicants?

Question: Do pharmacy schools take preference for instate people? All the out of state schools I have been to either waitlist or reject me but all my instate ones takes me - what gives? I really wanted to go to this one out of state.

Answer: In short, yes. I do have experience with a state school pharmacy program and we did give preference to in state applicants. A number of people on the committee felt it was imporant to admit in state students, particularly those from less populated areas of the state. The thought being that those students would be more likely to return home and work in those underserved areas.

On more than one occasion I had more senior members of the committee say they felt the university system (because it was taxpayer funded) had an obligation to admit in state students who would stay in the state. So, yes - I do believe it is more difficult for out of state students to get into public institutions. I did not like it then and I haven't changed my opinion.

I feel a more diverse group of students makes everyone more well rounded whereas a homogenous group of instate students does not broaden horizons. Most schools do allot a certain number of seats for out of state applicants, however, so I suppose that is better than nothing.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

If anything, pharmacy schools would do better with less of the so-called "diversity."